Historic Ludowici Clay Tile Roof Restoration, Copper Flat Seam Roofing, Gutters, Downspouts and Flashings in Kenosha, WI
- December 5, 2019
- News, Uncategorized
- Posted by Renaissance Roofing, Inc.
- Comments Off on Historic Ludowici Clay Tile Roof Restoration, Copper Flat Seam Roofing, Gutters, Downspouts and Flashings in Kenosha, WI
The historic roof restoration of the Anderson Arts Center in Kenosha Wisconsin, 40 miles south of Milwaukee, was performed in 2019 to protect the Estate against the brutal Lake Michigan and Kenosha, Wisconsin weather.
Designed by Ralph Milman and Archibald Mortphet and built for James Anderson, an executive of the American Brass Company and his wife, Janet Lance Anderson, granddaughter of the Simmons Mattress Company founder, the French Renaissance Revival style house has over 9,000 square feet of living space with more than 30 rooms. The clay roof tiles are complimented by the stone and stucco exterior walls and dormers trimmed in wood with a copper roofing system. Construction began in 1929 and was completed in 1931.
The restoration processes involved the meticulous removal of the 30,000 pieces of Ludowici-Celadon Brittany Style Shingle Tiles. Each special trim tile was numbered and cataloged so it would be reinstalled in the exact location from where it was removed. Over 60,000 copper nails were used in the roof restoration process.
The copper flashing work on the building was also painstakingly duplicated to the finished appearance of the methods employed when it was the built. The 480 linear feet of built-in copper gutters were replaced as well as the 300 linear feet copper downspouts. The estate has 26 dormers that required new flat seam copper roofing systems to match the existing. More copper was replaced on the 1100 square feet of low sloped roof areas. These “flat” roofs received 20-ounce flat seam copper, fully soldered roofing systems with custom perimeter metal detailing. Additionally, the copper valley metal was replaced as well as all copper flashings including those on the four chimneys.
All work completed with Renaissance Roofing forces and the building was occupied during construction.